Start Date: Sun 7 Jan 18, study spread over 3 years.
This course is delivered by Cranfield University on behalf of Shrivenham Leadership Centre, Defence Academy.
An executive part-time modular masters Degree in Defence Leadership studies.
The Defence Leadership MSc is designed to broaden knowledge and understanding of leadership theory, develop the skills of critical analysis and examine contemporary national and global contexts in order to improve personal leadership practice.
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Develop a broad understanding of the variety of approaches to leadership.
- Be aware of, and to develop a critical understanding of the nature of their own leadership.
- Understand the causes of leadership success and failure.
- Understand and lead successful organisational change.
- Have the practical knowledge and skills to be able to analyse widely different contexts and situations.
- Develop leadership in others.
- Develop a critical analysis of contemporary leadership theory and practice.
- Have the knowledge and skills to understand and shape the development of leadership in war, conflict and crisis situations.
- Be able to design and construct a research project to address pertinent organisational issues in leadership studies.
- Develop an area of specialisation through the conduct of in-depth investigation.
- Be able to critically appraise and apply leadership studies, ideas, theories and concepts to a specific organisational context.
- Develop a critical analysis of the research methods and philosophies that underpin leadership studies.
A key development course to support the needs of the business.
The academic year begins in January by which time candidates must have completed the application process.
There are no exemptions for this course.
Normally a 1st or 2nd Class Honours Degree or professional equivalent. Students with 3rd Class Honours or an Ordinary Degree with 3 or 5 years respectively of suitable postgraduate experience are also qualified for enrolment.
The primary audience will be those who already have some personal experience of leadership practice from the defence and wider security sectors. This course is centrally funded less T&S and is primarily aimed at mid career officers (Major (OF3) rank) and above, equivalent grade MOD Civil Servants, in an associated career field or employment.